Epson's new EVF--brave new world?

Started Oct 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,710
Re: 800x600 a revolution?

ljfinger wrote:

BobTrips wrote:

I'm not sure we know what the processing/display lag is. We do know that the refresh rate is 30 times per second or 0.03 (3/100) seconds.

It can be longer than that (and it's 33.3ms).

Pedant! I say that with great reverence, because I am one.

Yes, when the light is low, an EVF slows down, whereas an OVF just gets dark. So, we have a choice...slow and bright or fast and dim. Hmmm...I wonder which one is better?

And remember, you have to anticipate the scene when you're using a swinging mirror camera. Some of those mirrors take more than 1/10th second to get out of the way.

Not since the 70s.

I'm not sure if you mean the 1970s or the Nikon D70s? If you meant the 1970s, the proper way to abbreviate it is '70s. If you meant the camera, you should include the "D" in front.

I checked and sure enough, the Nikon D70s had a delay of 135 mS due to waiting for the mirror to flip out of the way and stop bouncing...it was introduced in 2005. Somehow, I can't believe that it was the last dSLR to have a mirror-lag of greater than 100 mS. There must have been many introduced after June 2005 that were equally slow. The D40, introduced 5 months later had a mirror-lag of 98 mS. The Oly E-500 was rated at 320 mS (Dec 2005).The Pentax K100D (Aug 2006) had a mirror-lag of 149 mS. The Sony A100 (June 2006) had a mirror-lag of 116 mS.

You might be correct to say that must dSLRs introduced after 2006 were faster than 1/10 second mirror lag...but not by much. My D300 is quite fast at 57 mS (Sept 2007), but it is less than 2X faster than Bob's 1/10 sec. And it pales in comparison to mirror-less designs...my R1 is 7 mS and there are others at 5 mS.

You've got to shoot 1/10th of a second "before you see what you want to take".

Tracking is more of a problem than shutter lag. For some reason, people don't seem to understand the difference between viewfinder lag and shutter lag.

Perhaps. Or they just may like to get you agitated?

Some cameras with an EVF constantly take pictures and what you think is a delayed image is really the last picture captured. My R1 is like that. That helps with tracking, as it's the ultimate WYSIWYG! True...the image you see in the EVF is a delayed version of reality...but when you decide to pull the trigger, displaying the current frame is aborted and then the shutter closes so that the image can be accessed (w/o any other photons being captured). Since the sensor is continually taking a picture (at whatever frame rate is possible), when you pull the trigger, it's already there, ready for use (the camera doesn't have to take another frame). The EVF is showing the current frame (already captured), so you don't have to wait to grab another one! Voila'

This neat trick can only be done with a CMOS sensor...it has to be a random-access device. Why? Because otherwise the entire sensor has to be read out in order to get a video image...and with a CCD, readout is destructive. To get an image for an EVF only requires about 4% of the photosites to be accessed. That's easy and fast with a random-access CMOS sensor. If we could get a fast LCD for a future EVF, a CMOS sensor could easily keep up. I predict that an EVF with 120 Hz refresh is only a few years away.

-- hide signature --

Charlie Davis
Nikon 5700, Sony R1, Nikon D300
HomePage: http://www.1derful.info
'I'm from Texas. We have meat in our vegetables.'
Trenton Doyle Hancock

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJL
BJL
BJL
BJL
BJL
BJN
BJL
wus
wus
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow