Belt pouch for G11?

Started Oct 9, 2009 | Discussions thread
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,353
FWIW, I settled for a wrist strap & the Lowepro G-Res 10

I did try the Canon 5100 case which was advertised on B&H as being compatible with the G11. It is. It has a magnetic latch and does have a belt loop. It fits around the G11 snuggly. It takes a bit of effor to get it out of the case, using both ends of the camera strap to get it out (camera fits into this case the long way which is nice orientation if you carry it on your belt). The 5100 doesn't have its own strap; you use the Canon neckstrap.

I found the Canon neckstrap to be a bit too short; I like the option of slinging the camera on one shoulder, under my arm. Also stuffing the strap under the 5100's lid is a pain, especially if you have the case belt mounted.

So in the end I went for a wrist strap that attaches to the right side of the camera in place of the Canon strap. I bought the OpTech USA wrist strap. The neopryne strap can be tightned securely on your wrist and has a quick release which lets you swap out the wrist strap for a neck strap (sold separately, $10 each)

Now using a wrist strap, I find the 5100 case to be awful. I can only pull the camera out of the case using one edge which makes it really hard to quickly get the camera out. THat might improve as the case stretches with use.

My solution was to buy the Lowepro G-Res 10 case from Amazon. This is a minamilst case that has enough room to hold the camera, orientated portrait (i.e., small end in) and lets the wrist strap hang out. The case has a removable neckstrap and does not have a front pocket. So it's the least bulky case I own.

I'm really happy with this setup. If I find I did need a front pocket to hold a spare battery and memory card, I'd buy one of the Tarmac bags mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +62 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow