Epson's new EVF--brave new world?

Started Oct 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
BJL Veteran Member • Posts: 8,900
800x600: what is the resolution of the OVF frosted plastic secondary image?

Of the Epson EVF with 800x600x3 resolution, Steve Balcombe wrote:

it's a fraction of the resolution needed to replace an optical viewfinder.

I wonder how much resolution is needed to match an OVF.

Note well that the OVF image has far less resolution than the lens or sensor delivers, since it is a secondary image scattered off a frosted glass or plastic surface.

Of course, if one wants high VF resolution for focus checking and can use "focus assist" zooming, then an EVF (or LCD) beats the stuffing out of any OVF for both size and detail of the preview image. Especially as the Live View approach avoids any of the back- or front-focus errors than OVF's can have.

My guess is that the biggest need for EVF improvement is speed, not resolution: handling fast panning and low light. So the Epson improves on the "800x600x3" Panasonic G1/GH1 EVF in the most important area, but I doubt the problem is fully solved. I suspect that we are at the start of a rush of competition and improvement in EVF's, to capitalize on things like still/video convergence in "system" cameras.

Will true DSLR's add EVFs, maybe as add-ons, for video usage?

BJL's gear list:BJL's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BJL
BJL
BJL
BJL
BJL
BJN
BJL
wus
wus
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow