D3s : "Nikon-original FX CMOS sensor"...

Started Oct 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
Thom Hogan
Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,661
Re: D3s :

Mel wrote:

It mat well be the future indicator of many good things to come. But what it tells us for now, is that the D2H sensor by Nikon "was not" the last, nor did Nikon ever
put that idea of sensor making off the table as some have suggested.

Correct. Even with the obvious disappointment of the market to the D2h sensor, Nikon was consistently saying they would continue to do sensor designs.

However, I should note that the fact that Nikon hasn't moved to their own sensor for DX models seems to indicate that they can't yet roll what they've done to large volume sensor runs and beat Sony's price. From all appearances, the sensel of the D3 sensor is good enough to produce a 12mp+ DX sensor that equals the D300's.

Nikon does things very carefully and calculated.

Absolutely.

Even though it seems at times (like with 720 vs 1080p), that they are off the mark.

The 720P/24 decision still seems strange to me. It should be at least 720P/24/30 and probably 720P/24/30/60. What Nikon's decision says to me is that they were looking at the "press shooting Web video" crowd and not the "videographer pro" bunch. I'm pretty sure Canon is taking input from the other group.

BUT, this 720 is no slouch and I wonder if a video exists from the others that shows the low light ability shown in this "Video by Vincent Munier"

Not really. But the there's the issue of one-camera productions versus multi-camera productions. When you try to edit one camera's look into something that was also shot with another, you start having "join problems." This is the reason why I keep harping on Nikon's video decision. If I'm shooting with my main HD video camera it's a little difficult to visually integrate the Nikon stuff. So what I really want is to be able to shoot solely with the Nikon camera. But my options are pretty limited. What happens if I don't want the 24 fps look?

Something else to make note of and possibly as a result of the launching again of a Nikon sesnor AND significant improvement in a typical "s" upgrade.

Actually, the sensor change is one of the most significant aspects of the D3s upgrade. We haven't seen Nikon do significant sensor design changes this fast before. They've obviously put more resources into the sensor side.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (21 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HAE
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
HAE
Mel
Mel
Mel
tyb
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow