D3s : "Nikon-original FX CMOS sensor"...

Started Oct 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
Thom Hogan
Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,661
Re: D3s :

HAE wrote:

Nobody really knows who manufactures the D3 and D3s sensors. I even remember reading some speculation that it is Nikon themselves in Sony's fab which was just speculation not backed by solid evidence.

The two top theories are Renasys or leasing the new Sony fab that's underutilized. The markings on the sensor itself seem consistent with some other Renasys chips I've seen. But it doesn't matter. As far as anyone should be concerned, the D3, D700, and D3s sensor are "Nikon designed and manufactured." Nikon did the design, there's no disputing that. Even if they use a fab elsewhere, from what I hear Nikon is in charge of the process pretty much from start to stop. The toppings (Bayer, microlenses) is clearly a Nikon manufacturing process, too.

"First used in the groundbreaking D3 and then further advanced for the extreme resolution requirements of the D3X, Nikon utilizes its proprietary FX-format sensor for striking tonal gradation and fine detail.

This is a weird and misleading quote. The D3x sensor is clearly based on a Sony sensor. At best, it has Nikon toppings.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (21 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HAE
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
HAE
Mel
Mel
Mel
tyb
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow