Intimidated by the SLR Guests???

Started Oct 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,332
It only bugs me when subjects look at the wrong camera.

I don't care as long as camera wielding guests (whether they are shooting with a DSLR or a P&S) don't try to take the same photo I'm taking at the same time. When that happens you inevitably get at least one person in the photo who looks at the wrong camera. It slows me down because I have to ask the people I'm photographing to look at me. I've had this happen even while taking formals! When I see another camera sidling up as I'm about to shoot I now say something like, "Okay... look over here first. Then you can all look at the other camera so we both get good shots."

Outside of that I haven't really had any issues in my admittedly limited experience photographing weddings. I've had guest photographers standing right where I need to be before, but they moved quickly when I asked them if I could trade places. Sometimes I'm glad they are there. For one reception I had a couple instruct me to "screw the candids of the guests and just concentrate on creative shots of the B&G and the setting." (Okay...they didn't use those exact words, but that was the idea.) In that case I was glad to see a guest with a DSLR shooting lots of candids of the guests while I worked on fun creative shots. Too bad she used on-camera flash the entire time. She was using a Nikon DSLR, so I briefly considered loaning her one of my SB-800's to use... but I didn't. As far as photographer-guests wanting to talk shop, so far it hasn't been a problem. They know I'm there to work, and that it is a fast-paced event so I can't chit-chat. Sometimes I'll get someone wanting to talk shop late in the evening as my shot rate drops and the reception is winding down. That's fine, but I still keep my eyes open for something I need to capture.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow