Are these pics sharp enough for 50mm 1.8?

Started Oct 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 13,015
Re: Are these pics sharp enough for 50mm 1.8?

Fabian628 said "wide", not "wider".

Compared with the lenses most people own - consumer zooms - the 50/1.8 has a huge aperture, and the image quality (sharpness, lack of distortion etc.) blows any consumer zoom out of the water. All that from one of the cheapest lenses you can buy.

The 50/1.4 adds 2/3 stop more brightness but wide open it has a misty quality that doesn't suit all subjects, so in practice you would often need to stop it down - losing the advantage. Focusing is much better but ironically this lens has a reputation for failure of the AF mechanism.

I'm one of the lucky ones who has the 50/1.8 MkI which is much better built than the current version, but if I was buying today I'd consider the 50/1.8, the Sigma 50/1.4, the 85/1.8 and the 60/2.8 macro first. Only if none of those was suitable would I reluctantly buy the 50/1.4.

Swetika wrote:
Don't you think that 1.4 should have given wider aperture than 1.8?
Therefore the 1.4 should also be brighter.

• By common sense -

Fabian628 wrote:

i dont think the size and weight is really a large deciding factor, theres not a great difference. What the 1.8 brings is decent pictures and wide apeture for a great price.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow