S90 vs G11 at night with pics

Started Oct 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
OP ebrandon Regular Member • Posts: 459
Re: Very impressive

Desh Wasi asks:

can you just confirm the settings you use on these pics on the S90?

I believe that at least 90% of the S90 pictures in this thread were shot in "P" mode, at the lowest ISO I could get away with.

Everything else -- white balance, focus, etc. were left fully automatic.

I never use "auto" mode because I don't want the camera choosing the ISO. I have the back dial set to ISO, and use it to choose the lowest ISO I think will work, then try to take the picture. If the camera says the exposure is going to be crazy long, or if my picture comes out blurry, I up the ISO and try again.

I find that this method yields good pictures at very slow shutter speeds, like 1/3 second or slower, as long as I can hold the camera steady by trying real hard not to move, or even better bracing my elbows or pressing my back up against something.

Obviously, the Black & White Nostalgic Scene mode pictures were not shot as above -- the camera decided everything (and used a very high ISO, I suspect).

ebrandon's gear list:ebrandon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D600 Canon EOS 6D +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow