S90 & G11 – my final conclusions & suggestions

Started Oct 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
Paul Marbs Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: Good job - it's all about your daily work flow.

The sensor used is not capable of giving HD video, it wasn't just left out as a marketing decision.

PaulRivers wrote:

Alashi wrote:

(Naturally, I'm looking forward to Canon's next surprise. I'd wager the S90 will become a hand-me-down in a year. Next will be a 12MP with the same pixel density--or less, higher IQ. The gauntlet has been thrown. Panasonic called Canon's hand.)

I would happy to take you up on a bet, even a 2 to 1 or 5 to 1 bet - if it was actually possible (not really over the internet).

Canon's last big pixel push was up to 14 megapixels. Even their really really small cameras (sd780) are 12 megapixels.

But they deliberately chose 10 megapixels for this camera, this being the absolute first time they ever went down in megapixels. They did this, we all believe, because anything above that level of megapixels produces more noise, less low light ability, and no actual gain in image quality in the photo. They've sorta proven themselves that, unless you make the sensor and camera physically bigger, there's no gain in adding megapixels.

Personally, I think Canon's next upgrade to this camera is obvious. They can't add megapixels without affecting it's low light capability. They probably can't add more zoom (we'll see, I suppose) without affecting image quality. So they've left themselves with one thing you want but can't get on this camera right now - HD video. All their latest lower end cameras have it (sd780, their absolutely tiny handheld camera has it, for example). But they left it out on the s90. Their competitors are adding HD video to all their cameras - personally, I think they left it out so you'll have a reason to upgrade.

Hopefully they'll continue to improve image quality and the like, as well.

-- hide signature --

I support my growing camera collection through this website.

If you find my comments as helpful as a book you might have had to buy or a workshop you may have had to take, feel free to help me continue helping everyone.

It's great people like you who allow me to keep adding to this site full-time. Thanks!

If you haven't helped yet, please do, and consider helping me with a gift of $50.00.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow