S90 & G11 – my final conclusions & suggestions

Started Oct 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
Alashi
Alashi Contributing Member • Posts: 569
Re: Good job - it's all about your daily work flow.

... a rhetorical wager ...

Noise issues on smaller sensors has improved over the years. And yes, going back to a lower pixel density has helped a great deal. The Pro1, with fewer MP (8) and lower density yet still proves it metal today. So, the S90 is like back to the future.

However, technology marches on and noise issue will continue to be resolved with sensor technology matched to lens technology. There will be a 12MP with lower noise than the S90. We will see a larger sensor yet in a small body.

When Canon introduced the 6MP DSLR body for $2200, people drooled and flocked to it. Today, it has been well surpassed for pixel count and image quality combined. But at the time, it was magic.

I applaud what Canon did with it's new 10MP contenders. I like them! But, I expect better and it will happen.

With my kids grown, I've left most of the video behind. My investment in those products was just as hairy and expensive as my still camera spending. But I'm done now and simple snippets of video suffice for me just fine. However, I can appreciate the desire of others for the inclusion of this technology (in HD) in a still camera. It's OK. If I were still active at soccer practice with my son or daughter, I'd be eager to see these great combo cameras being made.

For now, for me, the S90 is a welcome breath of fresh air with a long journey still ahead for its siblings. It's obvious from these forums that the hunger existed and the hopes and expectations were high. It's done pretty well for starters. Now, I'm restlessly awaiting their surprise for next year and all the juicy speculation it will invoke.

Alashi's gear list:Alashi's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot SD900 Canon PowerShot G10 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow