S90 & G11 – my final conclusions & suggestions

Started Oct 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
Lucien Contributing Member • Posts: 847
Differences

Great comparison! Thanks a lot.

I looked at several pictures side by side and I do notice in several instances especially with foliage that the G9 is visible sharper. The aperture is slightly different but not at their boundaries. For example:

• Pictures 29 and 30: checkout middle left. On the S90 you see some noise in the dirt surprisingly but also the foliage shows considerably less detail.

• Pictures 49 and 50: same story. Container detail looks similar but look at the grass and foliage on the left side. You see some smearing and blotching on the S90.

The detail differences may not show up in 4x6 prints but certainly visible on screen at 100%. However again some of the artifacts look a lot like jpg compression:-(. Looking at manual there's only large setting and 2.5MB for a 10MP file I think is a bit small. I guess only alternative is RAW. Would be interesting to see if the S90 is then more similar to the G11. I don't understand why Canon killed superfine since it really would make a difference.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow