S90 & G11 – my final conclusions & suggestions

Started Oct 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
Alashi
Alashi Contributing Member • Posts: 569
Re: Good job - it's all about your daily work flow.

Your points are well enough taken. This work-flow works for you. You are in DSLR mode and that's good for what it is and what you want. For most of my shooting needs now, the DSLR no longer works best for me.

My biggest issue was that people are put off by my aiming an SLR at them, with it's obvious big optics. They think you are x-raying them. I need something truly small, unintimidating and pocketable--very light and convenient. Also, your system will indeed run about the same as the other 2 cameras combined when you get a decent lens installed. I have about $30,000 in my Canon DSLR body and lens combinations. In retrospect, a big mistake. But that's in light of what's available today. At the time, it was great. I'll never play the lens chase game again. The returns are not worth the investment.

I like my DSLR's a lot. But, I like the portability of their other cameras a lot more and I'm likely to take them along many places the SLR is too noticeable, bulky, or inconvenient.

We are talking about the S90 and G11 here and the reasons many of us have decided to take that route. Nobody will argue the merits of Canon's DSLR's. Many of us have them. We're opting for other paths to feed our photographic objectives that provide not perfect, but quite sufficient results.

I honesty believe that the large DSLR behemoths of the past, and present, have their days numbered. We like convenience and we demand quality. It's starting to happen.

Alashi

Alashi's gear list:Alashi's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD400 Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot SD900 Canon PowerShot G10 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow