S90 & G11 – my final conclusions & suggestions

Started Oct 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
John TF Senior Member • Posts: 1,362
Re: S90 & G11 – my final conclusions & suggestions

I am full of praise for your careful, balanced, skillful evaluation of these two cameras. Thanks to you and Tom, I think the DPR review(s) will be anticlimactic - we now know what we need to know!

I think that the S90 is a fine complement to a DSLR, but that if you only have one camera, go for the G11 (as I did). That makes a lot of sense.

I take a lot of macro shots from all sorts of positions, and couldn't imagine doing that without an articulating LCD (like my A620 and A650). The twisty screen also encourages more interesting point of view in all my shots, rather than eye-level, standing up.

I'm happy carrying it on my belt, which unfortunately means I don't always have it with me, but that's OK.

The image quality is so good. For moderate cropping and normal prints (rather than pixel peeping) the difference between G11 and DSLR/MFT is probably going to be insignificant for my purposes. Bokeh notwithstanding.

-- hide signature --

John TF

John TF's gear list:John TF's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow