S90 & G11 – my final conclusions & suggestions

Started Oct 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
MarcosV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,359
Re: S90 & G11 – my final conclusions & suggestions part 2

ebrandon wrote:

So what’s the bottom line?

It’s wonderful having ISO and exposure compensation on dedicated dials – always available, always in the same place, always visible at a glance. It’s wonderful that the rear dial only does stuff when it’s supposed to, like changing aperture in “A” mode, and doesn’t do anything when it’s not supposed to like in “P” mode.

On one of the night pictures, of the mannequins surrounded by neon lights, I set exp compensation down 2/3 on the dedicated dial so the neon lights wouldn’t be blown out, changed the metering mode to “spot” using the dedicated metering mode button, locked the spot metered exposure on the mannequin’s face with the dedicated AEL button, focused on the mannequin’s face with a half-shutter press, recomposed and took the picture. I never would have done all this on the S90.

Some people would rather have the G11 because they prefer the larger size, it fits their hand better, they really want one of its features like the flip out screen, or hot shoe, they want lots of dedicated controls and tend to optimize settings before taking pictures, or they just like it better. For those people the G11 is a better choice.

You just summarized why I like the G11. I bought the G11 because I wanted something to replace my S5 IS. I didn't want a GF-1 because I'm trying to avoid the temptation of spending lots of cash and the G11 is about as big as I want to get right now (The profile of the GF-1 with lens attached is too big for my purposes). Attaching a wrist strap the G11 and I'm all set.

I figure I'll replace my subcompact P&S (currently a SD800 with waterproof enclosure) next year.

MarcosV's gear list:MarcosV's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +62 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow