S90 & G11 – my final conclusions & suggestions

Started Oct 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
Gary S Veteran Member • Posts: 6,199
Bought both also

That's a nice write-up and will be useful to a number of people.

The two cameras are quite different from each other in operation but very similar in image quality as mentioned. With cleaner ISO performance now I think it increases the usefulness of these new pocket cams.

For me, the S90 will be the camera to take when I need to travel extra, extra light. It can handle lower lighting reasonably well if needed, so it's fairly versatile. But I find using the G11 much more enjoyable. Love the dials for quick access and the flip out screen for setting up shots when it's more difficult to get behind the camera. And the bigger size is more comfortable to use.

I also like the built-in ND filter of the G's, sometimes you want that creative motion blur of an extra slow shutter speed (waterfalls, vehicles, etc).

I think they'll make a pretty good combo. Or maybe the SX20 might be a better companion for the S90. Big zoom for lots of reach when needed and a nice EVF which comes in handy at times.

If I had to absolutely choose only one, I'd take the G11. It's still small compared to a DSLR, easy to carry and I think it's a joy to operate.

Gary S's gear list:Gary S's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow