S90 vs G11 at night with pics

Started Oct 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
Luciano Morpurgo Contributing Member • Posts: 710
About detail and sharpness

Altruisto wrote:

Thank you for these. I really prefer G11 output. Colour rendition is different, and I really see more details on the G11 shots.

Hard to say but I think the OP made good points about why the s90 pics tend to be less sharp (more prone to motion blur basically) you can see it clearly in the statue's head. Again the difference in sharpness and detail is visible in the panorama photo of the square, but the s90 shot at f2.0 while the g11 at f2.8.

But for example if you compare the two close ups on the big column in the same square, the roles are inverted, for some reason the s90 has the edge in the detail (look at the magazines exposed behind the column)

Having seen some exceptional results in terms of sharpness and detail of s90 Raws in another thread, I'm still confident that the difference between the two cameras is more in terms of CA and distortion rather than detail.
Luc
--
http://www.pbase.com/duca_v2

Luciano Morpurgo's gear list:Luciano Morpurgo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow