Exchanged G11 for S90. Here is why-

Started Oct 11, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mikegoat Regular Member • Posts: 404
Exchanged G11 for S90. Here is why-

I shoot DSLRs. I have used the G9 and G10 for back up in the past and liked them a lot, primarily for the inclusion of RAW and excellent image quality. I thought I would like the G11 better. Despite the dumbing down of tactile quality, mentioned elsewhere between the generations (something that did not stress me too much, but is real) I tried to keep an open mind. I ended up doing a comparison shoot between the G11 I had purchased at Best Buy with the 10% off coupon a few days ago and the S90 with same deal today. I returned the G11 and kept the S90. (They treated it as an exchange so no restocking fee)

MY preferences: (Different users may disagree): The articulating, smaller screen is not as neat as the larger fixed one. I got tired of fumbling it open, deciding whether to keep it open or shut it. The pocketable, hang it around the neck comfort obviously goes to the S90 when I am lugging other cameras. The image quality is the same. I shot images back to back , same settings and blew em up. The smaller, more refined feeling S90 with full RAW won me over. I also like the faster lens and find the controls on the S90 are easier and more intuitive. The slighting smaller reach is, for me a non issue. The assignable functions are great. Not asking for flames, just suggesting you compare and think about what you really need if you are looking for a high quality backup camera that is stealth. Oh, and I saved some bucks in the process.

mikegoat's gear list:mikegoat's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow