Jumped ship and now a D300s owner

Started Oct 2, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sandking Regular Member • Posts: 413
Jumped ship and now a D300s owner

I've posted asking for some recommendations over the last week or so. I am a Pentax shooter or at least was. I got into Pentax gear 2 years ago with a great starter camera the K100D and it has served me well and I learned so much with it and some decent lenses. The one thing that bugged me was focus speed, burst rate, buffer size and fewer manual controls on the body. i don't blame the camera for the last one, when I bought it I didn't think I'd be doing so much manual shooting and now am just tired of digging through some menus. In addition with our little girl we just had the focus speed just isn't up to it. I didn't have much invested in Pentax (under $2k) so this was my once and only chance to leave because if I didn't I would have bought the new K7 and a new lens which would have put me to the point of no return with our budget. Currently besides the kit lens I have very little invested (a 28-75 F/2.8 and AF-540 flash). My wife and I have been messing around with the K7 for a week or two an while it is much faster than what we currently have, I wanted the benefit of the focus speed and tracking on the D300s. I haven't seen any reviews yet that compare the K7 to the D300s or 7D in terms of focus speed and tracking for sports or action photography. There are great options on the K7 between weather sealing, Shake Reduction, White Balance changes, etc that I really like. One con was the size for me. I'm a big guy so without the batter grip it's a little small.

Needless to say this wasn't an easy decision because the investment difference between the K7 (now with the price drop), battery grip and a Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 is significantly less than what I just ordered (D300s, 16-85, 70-300, battery grip and SB-600 flash) but I'm looking at this as an investment in the future. I hope to see my daughter and future children playing sports so that I can have this nice setup that will eventually include some fast glass (70-200 F/2.8 or 80-200 F/2.8). I went with the 16-85 and 70-300 for several reasons instead of the 18-200.

1) your recommendations on this forum that the 16-85 is a little crisper than the 18-200 and didn't want to drop over $1k for a 17-55 F/2.8 right now.

2) normally I keep my Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 on for 90% of my shots and wish it was just a little wider so the 16-85 fits my needs

3) I was considering the 80-200 F/2.8 and will probably pick one up in a year or so but for now it's overkill. I've only needed the reach when shooting some outdoor sports or traveling a bit and it's too much to carry around (plus I can't see myself taking it to disney) so I think the 70-300 is more practical for my immediate needs.

4) When I'm ready to upgrade to the 70-200 I have the option of selling my 70-300 to help fund it without being without a smaller lens.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow