7d: Pop-up flash master/slave works...check

Started Oct 1, 2009 | Discussions thread
OP Julio Veteran Member • Posts: 4,886
Re: 7d: Pop-up flash master/slave works...check

ScratchDisk wrote:

..in fact Julio,
I’m intrigued.

With other Canon masters there is in fact a 'trigger-flash'. (I'm not referring to ‘pre-flash’, nor ‘capture-flash’, but ‘trigger-flash’.) It’s extremely weak – weaker than the Nikon equivalent. IOW with the master set to taking/capture flash ‘disabled’ there is still a minute amount of master flash visible in the capture. With other Canon masters the only reliable way to see this, is to make the camera capture itself, complete with master flash tube, in a mirror. Set master to capture-flash ‘disabled’, don’t have a live slave anywhere near, and closely examine the (very underexposed) capture. With your new 'built-in' 7D master, is there absolutely, positively NO light coming from the built-in master flash tube, in such a mirror based capture?
If so, that is a first.

I'll check that out when I get sometime. But I can tell you that the pop-up does fire to communicate the comands. And I assume that it's not doing it with the pre-flash in ETTL mode since it also can conrol remote flashes and optical slaves in manual mode--it would need to do it during the actual flash for that. I'm sure the "flash" will be visible in the mirror if I do what you suggest.

The real question is how (in)significant the light output is. So far so good, but I'll try it in a more extreme situation--closer to the subject, etc.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow