Please talk me in (or out) of a Canon G11

Started Sep 26, 2009 | Discussions thread
Krig3 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Please talk me in (or out) of a Canon G11

Viper007Bond wrote:

All of my family members own just basic point-and-shoots. They're okay for the casual user, but I'm looking to invest a little bit more in something that can do good low light, etc. Basically between a point-and-shoot and a DSLR. I don't want a full blown DSLR due to cost as well as I'm not that into photography (it's just a minor hobby), but maybe if I get a better camera I'll become more into it.

Lucky that you have realized it at once: it was a minor hobby for me too but I went into DSLR world anyway just to realize, after two years, that it wasn't for me. I am now selling all my DSLR equipment to get back to compacts.

I have always had Canon cameras since 2002 and was convinced to buy the G11 until I have found out about the Panasonic LX3.

Comparing it to the G11 I have noted down the following pros and cons:

LX3 PROs

1) better wide angle (24mm instead of 28mm);
2) brighter lenses (F2.0 - F2.8 instead of F2.8 - F4.5)
3) smaller;
4) 110g lighter;
5) about 100$ cheaper;

7) besides the 4:3 and 16:9 it supports the 3:2 image ratio (the G11 supports 4:3 and 16:9 only);

8) better image quality compared to the G10 (I am looking forward to see a comparison with the G11).

LX3 CONS

1) doesn't have a swivel LCD;
2) has a short zoom range (2.5x instead of 5x)
3) doesn't have a viewfinder.

Here you can see a detailed side by side comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_g11%2Cpanasonic_dmclx3&show=all

You might find this article worth the time to read:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408enthusiastgroup/

Given all these considerations I think am going for the LX3 unless somebody makes me change my mind

Krig3's gear list:Krig3's gear list
Samsung EX2F
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow