G11 samples are available at DPR

Started Sep 24, 2009 | Discussions thread
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 17,266
Re: LX3 user comments

G1Houston wrote:

I am not sure if your call is fair b/c you did not factor in the skills of the photographer. For example, in one of the pictures with sweat shirts, the pink one has blown highlights. However when you look at the black one, you know that this picture was overexposed. This has nothing to do with what the camera is capable of but an error on the side of the photographer. But then what do you expect when someone just go out and take some pictures for the day?

I think I was fair because I was not judging the camera. Just expressing concerns based on the images. Blown highlights and blocked shadows can be mitigated by proper metering, but if the contrast range is too great, you end up having to choose one over the other. More dynamic range means reducing the situations where you have to choose one over the other.

Also, I agree that metering has a big impact on this, whether it's manually handled by the photographer or automatically by the camera. I've found that the LX3's combination of metering and dynamic range (and possibly in-camera JPEG processing) produces surprisingly good results in high dynamic range situations.

I look forward to seeing the full Dpreview review to find out how the G11 performs in this regard.

larsbc

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
kxp
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow