G11 samples are available at DPR

Started Sep 24, 2009 | Discussions thread
ProtoPhoto Contributing Member • Posts: 984
First impression vs. S90

I've been carefully studying the G11 samples since they went up, downloading some and comparing at 100% to S90 photos I had saved.

I had found the S90 photos a bit soft in the corners, and all over when wide open at F2.0 (this isn't a complaint or a disqualifier, just the reality when you aren't spending $1,000+ for the lens by itself.) I had expected the G11, thanks to its less agressive lens, to be sharper wide open, and at the corners.

When I looked at image 75 for the G11 (giant chessboard) to compare to 46 for the S90 (nuts), wide open 2.8 to wide open 2.0, I found that the corners were indeed noticably better on the G11 - but the center didn't appear noticably sharper than the S90. Call that a pleasant surprise for the S90 in comparison, with its marvelously fast and versatile small lens.

The sample providers were of course blatantly biased in favor of the G11 ( ), in that they did plentiful horrid grass tests on S90, while cleverly only including one with the G11 (image 91 with people on grass in front of columns), with greener and longer grass to boot. Now, this comparison isn't fair at all in terms of different light, grass, focal length and aperture, but... the G11 did a bit better, but it was no runaway. Might even be very close to even with equal conditions.

Overall, I think the G11 is likely slightly better optics, but the S90 held up remarkably well for a brighter lens in a camera half the size!

ProtoPhoto's gear list:ProtoPhoto's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
kxp
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow