My Diy Macro Extension Tube With Pictures And Instructions

Started Sep 24, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ROb_Boz New Member • Posts: 14
My Diy Macro Extension Tube With Pictures And Instructions

Here is my DIY for making these extension tubes for my MACRO SHOTS…
First thing you need is a 2 inch PVC pipe...
Then you need a couple of couplers…

A DREMEL OR really LOW grit sand paper (not recommended will take FOREVER) or if you don’t have either one there is a solution...read on...
And some EPOXY

1 x 2 inch PVC pipe

1 x 2 inch male/female threaded PVC coupler

2 x 2 inch female/female singles sided threaded PVC coupler (2 pics both sides)

1 x Body cap
1 x lens cap

OK I should have done a step by step but I couldn’t stop once I started building...

So I’m going to try and explain as best as I could and the pics should help out a lot...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
STEP 1:
LENS MOUNT…

1 x lens cap: I drilled out a circle in the center to let the sensor read the image from the lens...I used a lens cap because I wanted a tight seal when the lens mounts up so that I could block out as much of the dust as possible...

1 x 2 inch female/female singles sided threaded PVC coupler: I epoxied the lens cap to the PVC coupler on the threaded side so that I could use the smooth side to put the PVC pipe through…using a table top vice I held these 2 pieces together as they dried

STEP 2:
BODY MOUNT…

1 x Body cap: I drilled out a circle in the center to let the sensor read the image from the lens…using a body cap gave me a super snug fit for the contraption to the camera...

1 x 2 inch female/female singles sided threaded PVC coupler: I bored out the NON threaded area so that the body cap sits right into the PVC coupler leaving the threaded end exposed…

If you look carefully you can see where the body cap and the PVC pipe JOIN...the seam line is visible...

Using the table vice again I placed the body cap into the piece I bored out and using epoxy I applied a light layer and pressure from the table vice I held that piece together…

After the piece held I used generous amount of epoxy and I filled it in from the inside so that these 2 pieces never come apart

.................NOTE.................

AS I STATED ABOVE THERE IS A SOLUTION TO NOT OWNING A DREMEL OR NOT WANTING TO SAND IT ALL DOWN...then your only other option is place the body cap ONTO the PVC pipe...

BUT I DON’T RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL BECAUSE THIS CONTRAPTION GETS VERY HEAVY AND THERE ISN’T THAT MUCH SURFACE CONTACT BETWEEN THE TWO...IN DOING IT THIS WAY YOU WILL MOST LIKELY BREAK SOMETHING...AND I JUST WANT TO WARN U AHEAD OF TIME NOT TO GET ANGRY AT ME...

..............END NOTE..............

Then I took the

1 x 2 inch male/female threaded PVC coupler: I threaded this into the exposed end...I had to apply some liquid soap to the threaded areas because it wouldn’t thread in all the way…plus once its threaded you don’t have to take it apart anyways…

STEP 3:
EXTENSION TUBES
I took a standard
1 x 2 inch PVC pipe
And I cut them into 3 pieces…
1 ½ inch length
2 ½ inch length
4 ½ inch length
(FORGOT TO CUT THE 3 ½ INCH LENGTH)
STEP 4:
PUT EVERYTHING TOGETHER...

MORE NOTES...

Initial test shots were not satisfactory because the inside of the pipe was to shiny...to much light was focusing onto the sensor...so what I did was roll up some cardboard paper into a cylinder and drop it right into the contraption…this made the texture on the inside grainy and blocked off excess light onto the sensor..

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow