Upgraded my old a620 to an LX3

Started Sep 23, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ktom524 New Member • Posts: 13
Upgraded my old a620 to an LX3

Hi all,

I'm a frequent reader of this site and forum and have to admit this is my second actual post (first one minutes ago in the Canon forum). I wanted to reach out and collect views on the situation I'm currently in. Here's how the story goes:

I finally broke down and upgraded the old A620 that I've been using for 3 years...never had any issues with it but wanted to see how the "market" for P&S has improved. Highlights include super sharp images (not much NR back in the day apparently), swivel and just overall versatility of decent indoor, family and outdoor performance. Only gripe really is the size now that I've seen everyone else with their much more "compact" sized P&S that fit easily into pockets and better LCD screens.

After countless hours reading reviews and threads, I found myself with a great deal on a used LX3 which I ended up purchasing about a month ago. I've used it exclusively since, firing about 400 actuations. Here's my take:

It's a good camera but with all the accolades and praise on IQ etc, I was expecting something truly phenomenal across the board. Don't get me wrong, I think it's definitely a "photographer's camera" that has a lot of great features (dyn B&W) with an F2 lens for indoor shooting but my main gripe is that pictures are just not as crisp as the a620. I've explored indoor shooting a bit and it's nice to have a wide for family events and quicker lenses for low-light situations, but I tend to burst fire indoors anyway so I get a good shot somewhere in there. On the LX3, I've tried pretty much everything to match the old A620 in terms of IQ...turned down NR to -2, shot in less MP, played with the different focus options but still no success. I also don't shoot in RAW and do minimal PP.

It probably makes little difference when I go to print but was just a little shocked that a $500 camera today (that's hard to find even at that price) isn't as sharp as one I purchased for much less 3 years ago. My amateur guess would be that aside from the faster lens and IS and all that, pixel density is ultimately what truly matters and the A620 still edges out.

I'll probably end up keeping both units (sort of against the entire 'upgrade' idea) for different uses but was hoping to post and see if I'm missing anything significant. Just wondering if anyone else out there has found them self in a similar situation and wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts.

Thanks,
Kevin

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow