ZD 14-35mm blog review

Started Sep 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
Hawaii-geek
Hawaii-geek Veteran Member • Posts: 8,066
Big Ga, Dream of a m43 7-14 f2.8 SHG :)

Big Ga wrote:

Hawaii-geek wrote:

Maybe because of the 7-14,

See my post above. That still doesn't help the majority of event shooters like yourself.

Aloha Big Ga,

Ok, I am not going to lie and say 24mm would not be really useful on a 14-35 f2 (12-35 f2) ... and I am not going to say, I don't feel exactly the way you do about having the wide end at 24mm efl.

Yes, that little bit "really" helps in all the tight places you will "have" to shoot.

but, really ... when I saw the issue with the 12-60 SWD ... combined with how long I waited for the 14-35 f2 SWD already ... I was glad they just shipped it.
And I just learned to live with it.

It's that three lens range thing ... 7-14, 14-35, 35-100
and the low distort at 14mm ... on the 14-35

I used to think the same. And for a certain type of shooter, I can indeed see the attraction, however for you and I, I think they made a mistake (or they simply didn't design it for 'that' sort of pro), and I think Nikon got it right with the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200, even if there indeed is significantly more distortion at the 24mm end of the mid range lens.

Big Ga, you are NOT going to get any arguments from me on this.
24-70 for a event shooter is the way to go. You are totally right about this.

But, my partner (Nikon guy) just rented a 14-24 f2.8 for the last wedding shoot we where on ... and it seems regardless of what system you use ... you "will" eventually, end up with three bodys and three lens on this type of shoot. Even if you have a 24-70.

imho, flipping two bodys with one of those lens (14-24, 24-70, 70-200, f2.8s) sitting on the side, is worry-some lol ... regardless of the pricepoint shoot you are doing.
I am starting to like the 3 lens , 3 body idea.

So, "now" what I am thinking ... m43 ... by design ... should make a OLY 7-14 f2.8 SHG lens smaller , and a PRO OLY m43 with Panny like EVF and AF ... should make the combo small ...

which regardless, I would be doing anyway. (I did use a 11-22 before, and realize a m43 7-14 is what I would like)
All I need is for the lens to be smaller than the Nikon 14-24 f2.8.

I would rather have a SHG m43 7-14 sitting on a smaller body as my wide.

Hmmmm.... I certainly would rather a slower, but smaller and cheaper 7-14. But for serious work, I'd want it 4/3 and NOT m4/3

• This is my logic on this ...

1) if I wanted slower, smaller, cheaper 7-14 ... Panny has one now

2) on things I would shoot the 7-14 with ... the Panny AF , EVF ... and CAF face detect tracking might be all I need. My guess is that Panny face detect tracking is "only" going to get better. and it is pretty awesome right now, for ver 1.

3) And this is a BIG plus for me ... being able to use a smaller m43 SHG 7-14 f2.8 on the job ... AND have a PRO grade m43 with a 20mm or wider f2.0 (HG or SHG) with me "all the time" would be a BIG plus!

And the AF and iso1600 performance is only going to get better.

I buy compters every 3 years ... a $1,000 body (or thereabouts) I can buy every year. At least one.

But, lens ... I can wait for that KILLER one ... that people will be talking about years from now :).

The 14-35 f2 is a lens like that, it's a Great zoom lens (prime like), that over time, will be recognized as such (dispite it's low light AF issues, which is better BTW) ... and .... so is the the Nikon 14-24 f2.8.
I believe Olympus can make a m43 7-14 f2.8 that would be legendary!

• Because imho, a Great 7-14 f2.8 SHG lens from Olympus ... "would" be a m43. because that is what would make it "different". (Size,Speed, IQ)

I just hope Olympus will also ship a 20mm f2 m43 SHG soon ....

• OK, that is what I am dreaming of.

I have noticed you dream a lot

TRUE! when you dream a lot ... you have something to look forward to.

imho, Dreamers ... vocal Dreamers ... can help PUSH Olympus forward.
and yes, it is my belief OLY is listening more.

Top Tip** a year is a long time in professional photography these days. Don't waste your time waiting for something that MIGHT come along!!! Especially if there is something out there that can help you NOW.

BG, Very true .... and that is EXACTLY why I have the, "buy a new body every year stratagy".

But, a GREAT Lens ... I can wait for. So, I wait for SWD SHGs from Olympus.
yes Nikon is now , for PROs ... you and I know that, and don't disagree.

I also know where Nikon was before the D200. and how things changed quickly, once it got rolling.

A fast AF , EVF m43 (on the level of Panny) ... and a weather sealed e50 that can shoot clean iso1600, and better Low Light AF (AF lamp would be helpful) could be the turn for Olympus.
HG

-- hide signature --

Eyes of Hawaii, Largest non-profit Photography club in Hawaii : http://www.eoh.smugmug.com/

Please feel free to criticize, make suggestions, and edit any of my photos & re-post, to help show me 'the way'. * I am trying to Elevate the Level of my 'Snap Shots'

Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha a7R +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow