Will DPReview admit they need to eat some crow?

Started Sep 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
carlk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940
Re: Will DPReview admit they need to eat some crow?

That’s one advantage of higher pixel density I think people fail to recognize. I doubt Canon can use as weak AA filter without risk of aliasing should the pixel size be larger. I’ve seen my 300/4 + 1.4TC on 50D produce much sharper images than before. First I thought AF microadjustmet contributed to this but what you mentioned might have something to do with it too.

John Sheehy wrote:

Robert J. Atwell wrote:

DPReview has generally tried to be neutral about most of its reviews. For the most part they have played the role of Sgt Friday well..."Just the facts" However, in the case of the 50D they were probably not prepared for the fact that the ADOBE camera raw converter wasn't ready to handle the non standard anti-aliasing filter that Canon used and quite frankly the 50D wasn't a paradigm changing camera.

The resolution jump from the 40D was pretty significant, especially when you factor in the much weaker AA filter in the 50D. Not the most ideal thing for a very sharp lens, but a boost for fairly sharp lenses.

I don't understand your comment about the AA filter; the 50D's AA filter is the weakest ever used in a Canon APS-C, AFAIK. Not being prepared for it would result in over-sharpening.

With the same lens and target, I get more RAW sharpness at the pixel level with the 50D than with the 30D, by a small margin.

-- hide signature --

John

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow