Will DPReview admit they need to eat some crow?

Started Sep 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 13,111
Re: My predictions...

photo nuts wrote:

Phil Askey once explicitly posted FF format was redundant and APS-C was the way to go.

It's hard to find that quote 'cos it was several years ago (before D3). But if I see it, I'll show it to you.

You mean as in this quote in the summary of the D2X review;

"Don't doubt Nikon's strategy of sticking to a cropped sensor. The advantage of only using the 'sweet spot' area of the lens is clear, full size 35 mm sensors may have long been the dream of the digital photographer but they do place much bigger demands on the lens."

LOL I guess Phil got some enlightenment since he wrote the above.

His final paragraph does reveal a bit of his mindset;

"It's fair to say that with the D2X Nikon are well and truly 'back', a killer combination of the superb D2 body, a high resolution CMOS sensor and the added bonus of high speed shooting when you need it. What can I say? The ratio of Pros to Cons really sums up my whole feeling for the D2X, it's exactly what we expect Nikon to produce, a solid robust high performance digital SLR with superb image quality, build quality and a confidence inspiring sense of presence. You know, I may well buy one myself!"

Again, it appears that high ISO noise was not that important to him in those days.

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron

rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow