ZD 14-35mm blog review

Started Sep 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 1,814
Re: ZD 14-35mm blog review

Jan3X5 wrote:

But when discussing this lens I must complain AF accuracy, which dissapointed me again. As I know E-3 accuracy issues with f/2 lenses very well (and hate it), I decided to buy 14-35 in set with another brand new E-3 body to avoid accuracy issues. I was really shocked that Olympus just packs the body and lens together without calibrating or even check them - after initial testing I found horrible front focussing and big accuracy issues also with 35-100. I many times admire Oly service so they did repair and calibration, which solved 35-100 issues, but not 14-35 which still front focuses quite strong. So I will send it again for repair and hope they will solve that and wish that E-3 follower will be free of these issues - it is very dissappointing if superior optics doesn't work because of electronics.

Jan,
I wonder how many people share your story.

I bought a 35-100 to match the 14-35 (which was issue free on my E3), and had to send it in for service immediately due to faultering Auto focus at f2, together with the camera.

I expect it back this week, but am fully aware that despite the undoubted goodwill of Oly service, I cannot expect too much.

Reading all the stories of unfortunate co-owners of back/frontfocussing f2 lenses, I believe it's currently beyond Olympus' powers to produce their Auto focus setup within acceptable tolerance.

This simply undermines the functionality and status (due to the fabulous optics) of the f2 lenses, and if the E3 needs to be released as a markII, it's worth the release if nothing else changes other than the incorporation of a decent user lens calibration tool.

Is it really plausible to sell 2000,- euro lenses with benchmark optics, that produce useless photo's due to consistent misfocussing, in the year 2009?

Hope Olympus will return your 14-35 and E3 with decent focussing.

Chris

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha a7R II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 Pentax HD DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW Zeiss Loxia 35
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow