af540gz flash stuck to k-20 : How can I remove it?

Started Sep 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
Lucky Sky Senior Member • Posts: 1,795
Re: af540gz flash stuck to k-20 : How can I remove it?

james laubscher wrote:

This is useful information about a problem design. I'm surprised that no-one else has reported this.

What is the point of the locking pin? I've used flashes for years without such pins and they've never fallen off.

James-

This was reported extensively here about 2 years ago. I was quite grateful for that previous thread as it showed me the only way to mount a Pentax flash on my K20D.

1) I feel that use of the locking pin is unnecessary because the flash fits so tightly into the flash shoe.

2) If I care to lock the flash using the pin, I ensure that the flash itself is firmly pushed as far as it will go into the shoe, and then visually check that it's mounted correctly, and then I can use the locking pin without fear.

The trick is the visual check before using the locking pin.......it is so easy to give the flash a firm push onto the shoe, only to see when checking that it has a slight distance yet to travel before the flash is fully mounted as designed. And that's where people run into trouble.
--
Lucky Sky
I'd rather be lucky than good

Lucky Sky's gear list:Lucky Sky's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron 15-30mm F2.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow