Pixel density - can the playing field be leveled???

Started Jun 6, 2009 | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 14,590
Re: Pixel density - can the playing field be leveled???

briander wrote:

If two camera's have the same size sensor, and one is a 10 MP, and the other is a 15 MP, and I lower the resolution on the 15 MP to 10, can I expect the same picture quality for a noise perspective?

Using the 10MP resolution on a 15MP sensor camera simply uses a cropped area on that sensor. So the quality of the image at a pixel level does not change.

But if you make large prints (double the size of a magazine page) from both your 15MP and your 10MP capture, the 15MP print should look a bit better - because there are more pixels spread over the same print area.

I am tired of reading "if this company would have resisted the megapixal war, this would be a great camera". What the hell does that mean?

It usually means the writer is not in the market for a new camera.

Technically, the generelasition is that if you stick more pixels in the same small space, there will be more noise detracting from the picture you want. This is not even true on all models from the same camera manufacturer.

On the cameras that I have owned, the noise at pixel level actually did not increase, but the detail improved. I made a point of taking pictures of the same scene at the same magnification on an Olympus C-40 at 4MP and on a Stylus 800 at 7MP. On the first I can't even see the name of the ship, on the second I can almost read it. See the first two pictures at the 'original' size here:

http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner/henry21

I must point out that my cameras only do noise reduction on long night exposures, and I am not taking into account in-camera processing.

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - Stylus 800, SP-570UZ, FL-36R
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cpw
cpw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow