G11 shutter delay

Started Aug 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
William Ing Contributing Member • Posts: 628
clarifying shutter lag phenomenon

This is addressed to comeon, and other posters like him, who state that shutter lag simply does not exist on the Canon G-series cameras, or that if it does, there are always simple workarounds to minimize the problem. He wrote:

shutter lag that is noticable is a myth to me ..just point pull the trigger done ..or half press to focus pull the trigger done ..how fast to you want ..1 nano second or something
..shutter lag i dont get ...

For the benefit of people like comeon, who just don't get what we're talking about, I think I need to clarify a few things I mentioned in my earlier post (#4 on this thread, I believe).

1. I took pains to explain that, in all cases, I was referring to PRE-FOCUSED shutter lag, i.e., where the photographer half presses down on the shutter release to focus and set exposure, then presses down past the first detent to release the shutter and capture the image. I was NOT even considering the still greater shutter delay one would confront by trying to focus and release the shutter in one continuous motion.

2. It is still my contention (supported by several knowledgeable G-series shooters elsewhere on this thread), that you can pre-focus a G-10, or switch it to manual focus mode, or switch to shutter priority or full manual exposure or whatever you wish, and you will STILL encounter sufficient shutter lag to make it difficult to time your shutter release so as to properly capture even moderately fast action, like the gentle toss of a ball, or the swing of a bat, or the highest point of a dancer's leap.

3. Everything I just said in item #2 applies equally to the Panasonic LX3, which I own and use constantly. Yes, you can lessen shutter lag times if you know some of the tricks, but it's can still be somewhat frustrating to attempt street photography on my LX3.

4. Note also that when I call for improved shutter lag time, I am NOT referring to capturing fast-breaking sports action, which can be demanding even on a DSLR with a 5 or 6 frame-per-second motor drive. I'm certainly not asking Canon or Panasonic to design a serious prosumer compact camera that can capture a ball coming off a tennis racket, or a soccer ball flying past the outstretched fingers of a goalie in full horizontal leap.

5. Also, please note that I'm NOT discussing shutter lag times when using the camera's onboard flash, an operational mode that introduces its own set of problems. What I am advocating are NON-FLASH, PREFOCUS shutter lag times that at least approach those of an entry-level DSLR like the discontinued Canon Rebel XTi which I still use with confidence to capture wideangle shots of activities as varied as parades and ballroom dancing, to give just two examples of moderately fast-moving and unpredictable subject matter that frustrate me when pursued with my LX3.

6. If you use your G10 or LX3 to pursue landscapes and sunsets, macro shots of flowers or plants, still life compositions or posed portraits, I wouldn't expect you to be at all concerned with any of the points I make here.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow