My take on D5000 vs D90 after using both

Started Aug 18, 2009 | Discussions thread
goldbean Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: My take on D5000 vs D90 after using both

It's obvious from your latest post that you are either thoroughly confused or unable to accept the reality of the situation. Repeating the same incorrect statements over and over doesn't make them true.

You admit don't have a D90.

You admit you don't know how to recover blown highlights.

You say no one can recover information from a sky if it is white (e.g., no way to recover any blown highlights), but I showed you can. I don't know what pale skies have to do with anything. Blown is blown. RGB of the blown areas is 255, 255, 255. It's white, not pale. Not one pixel of that high contrast scene was unrecoverable, even though many highlights were blown, and the D90 was using default matrix metering. So what you said was wrong. Period.

You don't believe crystal clear evidence (how in the world could/would I fake an NX2 screen shot showing blown highlights?!).

You say I didn't mention metering in my post, but I specifically addressed the issue. (Did you even read my post?) I'll repeat again for your convenience: the D90 did an excellent job in the high contrast shot I posted, retaining as much detail as possible within its DR. Again, not a single pixel had an unrecoverable blown highlight.

Yes, it's theoretically possible to overexpose to such an extent that you can't recover any highlights. This is true for any DSLR in existence. But saying the D90 has a metering problem that causes it to produce unrecoverable blown highlights at an unusually high rate is flat wrong. That's why you have absolutely nothing to support your position other than the compelling "you heard it somewhere" argument.

Please research the topic of raw headroom, and you will start to understand the faults in your logic. There is a place between blown highlights and unrecoverable blown highlights, and that is the raw headroom. That is what my previous post and the photo illustrate. If you don't like my proof of the concept, there are plenty of other resources that will help you understand it.

So others aren't confused: The D90 has plenty of raw headroom. As a result, if you shoot NEFs it is almost always better for your D90 to overexpose than to underexpose. The D90 meters just fine--great for NEFs, in fact--and you have to work to make it produce unrecoverable blown highlights. The D90 has great DR. Those are the facts from a real user.

I expect that you'll want the last word, so I'll yield it.

Cedarhill wrote:

Well ok but your little demonstration doesn't show much. I could keep adjusting my D80 and shooting images until I arrived at one where the sky was pale but still contained enough information to recover at least something. That wouldn't prove anything either. What we are talking about here is metering. You didn't even mention anything about that in your demo.

First of all, I don't even own a D90 or a D5000. My comments were generic. I believe I made that pretty clear. They were prompted by a comment from the originator of the thread in which he said he liked the D90 metering better than the D5000 metering because it overexposed rather than underexposed. I presumed he was talking about the default. If he were talking about using exposure compensation then his comment wouldn't have made any sense because you can obviously over or under expose by whatever amount you want. I offered my opinion that under exposure was preferable to over exposure in the context of default metering of these two cameras. If we were talking about 1/3 or 1/2 stop then it wouldn't much matter. However, my D80 over-exposes a good bit more than that under certain conditions and based on comments I have read from other posters, so does the D90. If that is true, then i would definitely rather deal with bringing up the shadows from D5000 rather than trying to recover color and highlights from a sky that is totally white. It seems you are purposely trying to miss the point. Your experience might add information to the contrary but not if all you do is provide a low rez screen capture with no real image and no EXIF information.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
lvs
vzR
gif
gif
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow