D300s initial testings = positive

Started Aug 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
jeminijoseph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,550
18-200??

Thanks for the short review..

I thought 18-200 is slow on D700 and even on D3. I was under the impression that the AF speed for the AF-S lens is mainly depends on the lens. D300 is lightling fast with my 500/4 AF-S, fast with 300/4 AF-S (slower than 500/4 AF-S)
and slooooooow with 18-200.

How would that be improved? If it's faster with 18-200 then how fast it will be with 500/4? Do you think it's same or better than D3? Or even Canon AF system? From my experience Canon 10D+400/5.6 was faster than D300+300/4 lens. I thought it was something to do with the lens rather than the camera.

Any comment compared to Canon 1D?

AmatureMike wrote:

Also, the reason for using the 18-200mm VR lens is because it is a much slower focusing lens due to its smaller apretures. On the D300, it was very slow to focus, so I felt testing this slow focusing lens on the D300s would reveal the improvments (if any) using the different Dynamic AF modes.

Also, I forgot to conclude that if seemed like Nikon redid the AF algorithms for the new body. The AF feels much more responsive when tracking and initially focus locking. That was noticeable right away in use.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jemini Joseph

http://www.wildbirdimages.com

jeminijoseph's gear list:jeminijoseph's gear list
Nikon D500
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
1ne
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow