The D300 is amazingly tough

Started Jul 8, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gtv2000 Regular Member • Posts: 130
The D300 is amazingly tough

About three weeks ago I watched my D300/Sigma 10-20mm tumble down a ravine in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. It was on a tripod and I was taking another picture with my FM and knocked it over. It fell about thirty feet onto soft dirt, then the camera detached from the tripod and it bounded down another forty feet or so on rocky ground. It rained a lot the next couple of days. I was not happy. I almost wrote it off, but I notified Park Police and they said they might retrieve it.

Thanks to search and rescue, I got it back today. Amazingly, it still powers up. The eyepiece surround is gone, the LCD cover is gone (but the LCD isn't broken) and the WB button is always pressed in. Other than that, it's just dirty. Haven't tried the shutter yet.

The lens is intact and works - although the front element is scratched (not broken).

It's off to Nikon for evaluation and repair/cleaning, but I am very pleasantly surprised.

Weird, the Kirk ballhead is not around - it detached from the dovetail and the tripod screw. I figured it would have stayed attached to one or the other.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow