K-7 High ISO NR (pics)

Started Jun 28, 2009 | Discussions thread
jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,663
Thanks LSD

You guys might think I am being a fan-boy but the sensor is improved 'a lot' over the K20D in noise. This shot so kindly given by LSD was a jpeg at iso3200, (still in bright color mode?) and its clean, try that with your K20D. Look at the black patch, if you did it with your K20D you would see noise, this pic is clean I did not touch it, only re-sized for the web. Also below it is a pic from the Nikon D90 at iso3200, its part of a test pic from a pro review. Do to the nature of noise its valid to view noise in the colors and to compare with the K-7; but not colors, only noise.

This is the Nikon D90 compared to the K-7 that has almost 15mp, the K-7 is going to be super at high ISO, clean and lots of detail. Some of you guys are not evaluating it right IMO. Its not the same as the K20D.

In the Nikon iso3200 pic it looks kinda blotchy and lifeless because of the strong NR needed to make it clean (in camera D90) the K-7 is still detailed and sharp. Now the last pic is the iso3200 DNG RAW from the K-7 with no NR applied I just used ACR and AE to make the jpeg with no NR or any PP at all this is as noisy as it gets and shows all the noise from the K-7 at iso3200. Its much better than the D90, K20D or any APS sensor I have ever seen!

With out doubt the K-7 is improved over the K20D and is very good, and I guess as far as APS sensors go its superb. Pentax/Samsung (Samsung is bigger than Nikon and Canon put together) rebuilt it from the ground up and did a great job. Don't think for a second Samsung would put out a second class sensor, they want to be a player and they have the resources to make a winner.

K-7 RAW file no NR at all anyplace this is all the noise the K-7 has at iso3200

-- hide signature --
 jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow