Is it possible to make HUGE very good quality 40 inch prints from the Sony A900?

Started Jun 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
Robsphoto
OP Robsphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,219
Re: Is it possible to make HUGE very good quality 40 inch prints from the Sony A900?

Krako wrote:

I have made several large prints, including a 2,50m wide one, to my
very satisfaction.
But keep in mind, the pixel-count isn't that important for large
prints. The bigger the image, the further you stand away looking at
it, the less detail you need. To have plenty of it doesn't hurt
though :]

Thanks for this information, now I hadn't really expected that anyone could get a satisfactory 2.5 metre print from a Sony A900 image. That's certainly pushing the "pixels per inch" (ppi) boundaries to a quite low figure of 61.45 ppi. (2.5 metres = 98.425 inches, so the A900 image width of 6048 pixels divided by a print size of 98.425 inches gives a very low ppi of 61.45).

But I take your point that, the further you stand back to view an image, the less you see of print defects. I guess it's the same with oil paintings. When we visited the Monet exhibition, we enjoyed viewing the paintings best at a distance of about 4 or 5 metres.

Incidentally, are the photographs in the gallery taken with the Sony A900? They certainly look great!

Regards
Rob
http://www.robsphotography.co.nz/Wellington-City-1-Te-Papa-large.html

(example of an A900 picture that has successfully enlarged to a width of 40 inches)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Biu
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow