Is it possible to make HUGE very good quality 40 inch prints from the Sony A900?

Started Jun 7, 2009 | Discussions thread
Chris G B
Chris G B Senior Member • Posts: 1,360
Re: Is it possible to make HUGE very good quality 40 inch prints from the Sony A900?

Robsphoto wrote:

I have written a short article on my web site about whether it is
possible to obtain very good quality 40 inch wide prints from certain
images captured by the 24.6 megapixel Sony A900 camera. This article
is published here:

http://www.robsphotography.co.nz/Determining-Print-Size-Of-Digital-Images.html

A practical example of applying the “theory” discussed in the above
article can be seen here:

http://www.robsphotography.co.nz/Wellington-City-1-Te-Papa-large.html

I would be grateful for any comments and criticisms about the
material in the above pages. I have concluded that, in certain
circumstances, it is possible to obtain very good quality 40 inch
wide prints from images captured by the Sony A900.

If you have tried making very large prints from Sony A900 images, I
would be interested to hear of your experiences about the print
quality that you have achieved.

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob

When I first got into digital imaging I did a lot of tests and came to similar conclusions regarding the image size in terms of PPI. For critical magnified viewing IIRC I found that I could not detect any difference between 300ppi and 225ppi. From 225 to 175ppi, the images lost a very little microcontrast, but nothing that could not be revived in post processing, below 175ppi, critical viewing did start to suffer, with 150ppi being about as low as was acceptable. 125ppi was showing obvious signs of loss of detail and texture. However, and it is a big however, for non magnified viewing, 150ppi is perfectly acceptable, though by 125ppi there is a little loss in image quality if you are scrutinising the print very closely with the naked eye.

On to normal viewing, the 150dpi print and the 100dpi print can generally both look OK. Bear in mind that even at 60" across, the jaggies from an A900 image are around 0.25mm, which will still look good until your nose is nearly on the print.

Biggest I have done so far from the A900 is a few 36" x 24" prints and they look absolutely excellent. I have also printed a crop that represented a 60" wide uncropped print and that looked very good in normal viewing. The limit on acceptable print size would seem to be the lens at the moment. Getting a good 40" image from the A900 sensor is easy, but getting a sharp and CA free image across the whole frame takes an expensive lens.

Chris

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Biu
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow