René Schuster wrote:

interesting what you say about Anderson, didn´t know about his new
forum names "Jim Carney" or "Apochromatic". Last time I´ve seen him
here was as "Jonathan Demarais" several month ago. Didn´t know this
immature 34 year old, politically far right Toronto based idiot still
exists here on dpreview!
Where he shows up here there is always a good chance the thread will
get censored or completely deleted sooner or later; even for
otherwise normal people it is easy to often overreact to his posts.

I've removed a lot of what you wrote. I agree with it, and I checked out your links. I've Googled our charming Mr. Anderson before.

But I don´t feel comfortable to "live under the same roof" (here on
dpreview) with such a person, that´s why I wrote this post!

Unfortunately, the nature of the internet means there's really nowhere you can go that's safe from the trolls. Some places are worse than others, but I think that just means you end up attracting a higher class of troll.

Aside from a photographer, I'm also a flutist. One of our online communities is called, simply, "The Flute Mailing List". It's old, pre-web, based on a list-serv (a mailing list server). Interaction is slower than a web forum like dpReview.

Anyway, we got hit by a master. This person spent literally months building up the persona of a lovable highschool flute student, interacting with a lot of members, asking for advice on subjects from flute technique to relationships, etc. Then the troll, with a second account posing as a friend of hers, "killed her off". We were doing memorial services, etc. when they announced the prank. It severely damaged the community, our level of trust for each other dropped dramatically, a lot of participants quit, some formed a more "gated community".

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
igb
tko
igb
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow