Why no comments on P90?

Started May 10, 2009 | Discussions thread
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 21,108
John - some comments and a different recommendation, if I may...

Here are some reasons why:

1. The P90, along with several other releases (i.e. the Pentax version of the P90) are manufactured by another OEM company and each brand puts in their own firmware, etc.

2. The problem with these ultra zooms with these pin-head sensors is that their IQ is usually horrible. I passed on both the P80 and P90 precisely because of this fact, which included too much noise and NR smearing. If IQ is not that important to you - but having the zoom capability is - then yes, any of these will fit you perfectly.

3. Having said that, there is one advanced super-zoom digicam that will virtually knock your socks off with superb image quality, rich color tonality, and many other variables. And that is the Canon SX-10 IS. It's a 10 MP cam - not a 12 MP cam, and Canon have managed to produce a winner here. And I don't make these remarks lightly as I shoot with over 75 different digital cams - having compared them all. Look, I'm not a fan boy of any brand. I recognize that all brands have some winners and losers, so why not enjoy the wealth of choices out there.

4. Below are some samples taken recently with the SX-10 IS at an airshow plus a few taken inside of a model home. This digicam has tremendous reach - the IS is simply superb and rock steady - and the IQ at lower ISO's can actually rival some DSLR's - yes, I'm quite serious about that. I can honestly say that this was the first cam in which I didn't miss having RAW capabilities - it's that good.

The samples - all shot at ISO 80, AWB, aperture priority with apertures ranging from f4.5 to f5.6.

-- hide signature --

What I believe....

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T2 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow