Goodbye D40 --- hello D5000!

Started May 8, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mkryzan Regular Member • Posts: 332
Goodbye D40 --- hello D5000!

At $850 Canadian $ it isn't exactly inexpensive but $200 less than D90 body and I found the D5000 grip/ ergonomics are excellent, as is the screen (surprisingly) and the viewfinder seems of the same quality as the D40 (I know it isn't) though it is clear to the naked eye that it is slightly inferior to the D90.

I bought the D5000 for the enhancements over my d40 in sensor and other internal features (chromatic abberation control, much expanded re-touch menu, better d-lighting, sensor cleaning) as well as the 11 point focus and better metering system.

Video --- didn't check it out. Live view --- I know it's there but no idea if it's needed. The D90 has a great feature set but unecessarily big, with too many buttons for me. My lenses are only AFS and DX so D5000 is a good fit for me (16-85 and the 70-200 2.8 is all I think I need).

I must say the D5000 felt good right off the bat whereas the D90, which I had inspected several times before, did not and has to many buttons for immediate manual controls that I don't need. Then again, I prefer to drive auto rather than standard and we both get there in the same comfort and time.

The 'old' D40 is possibly going to be donated or placed in my camera museum. I have extremely high regard for that camera and I think it represents a breakthrough design in Nikon camera development.

Mark

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow