Review - knockoff tripod mount ring for 70-200/4

Started Apr 22, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Yellonet Senior Member • Posts: 1,253
Review - knockoff tripod mount ring for 70-200/4

I've gotten a relatively cheap tripod mount ring for my 70-200/4 IS, they were both delivered today, yay!

So I just thought I'd make a mini-review of this knockoff, it's pretty much a copy of the Canon Tripod Mount Ring A II (W).

Price: $17.51 including shipping.
The Canon original costs (just searched amazon) $140 and up plus shipping.

It's more or less just a piece of metal so I didn't want to pay over $100 extra just to not have "for" (see image #2) on my tripod mount ring.

As you can see on some of the pictures below the piece doesn't have the finish that I imagine the Canon one does and it's got a slightly different colour, but that really doesn't matter at all to me.

The main thing, it works exactly the same as the original and it's a lot(!) cheaper.

The ring can be mounted and dismounted with one hand, the locking pin is spring loaded so you can push the ring together and it will "grip" the lens so that you can screw the lock tight, the screw only goes a certain length too so you can't lock it too tight.

It's as easy as lining up the line on the lens with the line on the tripod mount ring, snap together the ring and screw it tight, done.

So far I'm really happy with this purchase, relatively cheap but works very well.

Here you can see that the finish isn't that great, but it works very well.

As you can see, slightly different colour, but nothing too severe.

Nice balance with my 450D and battery grip with two batteries.

Mounted on my tripod, doesn't it look nice

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
T3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow