First Impressions: SD970 vs SD990

Started Apr 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nullspace Forum Member • Posts: 93
First Impressions: SD970 vs SD990

I recently purchased an SD990 as a pocket camera to complement my Sony A700. Now that my wife and I have a baby on the way, we really want a camera with an HD movie mode (carrying a separate camcorder just isn't for us). To that end, I bought an SD970, hoping that it would do most of what the SD990 does but with the added benefit of HD movies. I've only played with the SD970 for an hour or so, but I have some impressions.

I'm not a reviewer, and I have no standardized tests. I'm just playing with both cameras back to back at home.

• I find the menus of the SD970 favor snazzy looks over functionality. Changing different options takes more time because of silly animations.

• The SD970 consistently over exposes indoor shots where the SD990 nails them.

• The slower lens of the SD970 really makes a difference for indoor shots. With the SD990 I can use a lower ISO or faster shutter speed.

• I didn't think I would miss the manual controls of the SD990 (I have my dSLR for that), but I really do. It's just so much easier to make adjustments with the SD990. If the SD970 could get it right without my help, I'd be happy. Unfortunately, it makes exposure mistakes, and correcting them just isn't as straight forward.

• To me, the shots out of the SD990 are cleaner. The SD970 seems to have more noise at the same ISO, and the slower lens obviously makes it harder to get a sharp image. I'll have to do some real comparison shots on a tripod to comment further.

• The movies out of the SD970 look good; I have no complaints there. The microphone doesn't pick up sound as well as I'd like. Things seem pretty quiet, but overall it's decent.

• The bigger screen of the SD970 is nice, although the extra 1/2" doesn't make as much difference as I thought it would. I notice a lot more noise on the SD970 screen that the SD990.

As you can probably tell, I'm not impressed with the SD970 so far. I need HD movies, but I don't think I'm willing to trade the image quality and manual controls of the SD990 for this. If I'd never used the SD990, I'd be happy with the SD970, but now I'm going to have to look at other cameras - maybe the SX200 or Panasonic ZS3.

Ugh. I was really hoping to just be done with this. I was expecting the image quality of the SD970 to be lower, but the other problems might be too much for me.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow