F31fd/ F200EXR - my take after a few weeks/tests:

Started Apr 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Photofreak7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,707
F31fd/ F200EXR - my take after a few weeks/tests:

... Well I've been working with both (admittedly mostly indoors but some outdoors as well) and thought I'd share my (personal) dilemma/comments. I'll keep it as short and direct as possible. Here's a few scenarios (then I'll give my opinion at the end) ...

First: -If- you are thinking of selling your F31fd -just- because of the F200's DR performance then I'd say yes the F200 has the edge here -but- just remember the F31 -does- still give the better high ISO performance - which Dpr's review will shortly show (I predict) - so here you'd have to decide which is more important. For me (in low ight) I don't want the shadows to show up -if- they reveal more noise (F200) so I'd shoot at DR100 in low light.

Second: -If- you've gotten used to the F31's xD, somewhat outdated LCD, lack of WA, PF at times -but- great battery life and high ISO performance that the F200 doesn't offer enough in IQ (IMO) to warrant the switch - even in daylight with the slightly better DR capabilities.

Third: -If- you are looking for a pocketable, reliable camera -just- for high ISO inside shots then the F31 is the better choice (again IMO) and if high ISO is only occasionally utilized then the F200 offers more 'current' features and outstanding outdoor performance.

And lastly -if- battery life is something that's important to you then the F200 should not be 'shot down' because buying an extra battery or two isn't a deal breaker IMO. (but man the F31 has awesome battery life - over double the life!)

... so my personal opinion is that since I bought the F200 to replace my F31 thinking it offered similiar (or better with EXR) high ISO performance + the additional features of the F100 and a few others that the F200 has been in some ways a partial let down due to high ISO performance and limited A/S capabilities.

Yes it betters the F100 (and there's no PB) -but- it's still well behind the F31 in my tests as far as noise performance. I'd say the F31 still has a 3/4 stop advantage over the F200 (and retains more detail as well) and with the f/2.8 it is the (slightly) better choice in low light to yield higher shutter speeds. Yes I realize the F200 has IS (about a 1 1/2 stop advantage for stills) -but- to be honest the F31 does well without it and IS means nothing if there is subject movement - only higher shutter speeds can aid in that area... so which will I ultimately keep? - well I'm still deciding... just my thoughts on both for those interested.

• Matt

Photofreak7's gear list:Photofreak7's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rax
rax
rax
rax
EXR
EXR
EXR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow