** Weekly Wildlife Thread, 05 April, 2009 **

Started Apr 5, 2009 | Discussions thread
dwill23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,224
50D? and f5.6 lens?

I don't care what this site says, The 50D is awesome, I own 2. Several features make it better than the 40D. The one I use most, that was the deal breaker is the in-camera folder creation. Sadly nikon has had this since the D70, but Canon only had it on their 1D and 5D cameras until the 50D. In my professional line of work, I NEED this feature. Like shooting JV and then Varsity sports, I want them separated. etc etc. Plus, the grain is nearly invisible in print at even ISO2000 if you nail your exposures (shoot so you don't have to brighten in post). I print about 20-50 8x10's at everything form ISO200-3200 and really... the grain is hardly noticeable at higher levels. Too many armatures only look at photos on their screen. Pros sell prints.

Neway...

The 400 f5.6 is SUPER awesome.

I have the $4100 Canon 300mm F2.8 L IS USM, but the $1000 400mm is sharper at 400mm than when I use a 1.4x on my 300mm making it a 420mm f4, even when I shoot it at F5.6.

The 400mm might be the best birding lens for the price ever made. And really the best one you can get when the light is bright enough.

I've used the 400 f2.8, and it's no where near as portable and hand-holdable as the 400 f5.6 (let alone the huge cost).

Clearly you've shown that you can totally blur out the background and isolate your subject even with F5.6. The closer you get, the more you blur your background, i'd say, more so than f-stop setttings.

Great photos. I'm jealous, and want to get out there and start shooting with my too-heavy 300mm.

Dave
michigan

-- hide signature --

lenses make the image, the camera only records it. my zoom is my feet, not my fingers, don't be lazy, buy primes

dwill23's gear list:dwill23's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Sony a7 III Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow