** Weekly Wildlife Thread, 05 April, 2009 **

Started Apr 5, 2009 | Discussions thread
Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,169
Tule Elk

Not posted elsewhere really...

The first three shots were taken relatively close to a group of four male Tule Elk that were hanging out together in the Point Reyes National Seashore Park in California. Post processing included selective sharpening, minor shadow recovery, saturation boost, warming, red wine, and some levels adjustment. All were shot with the Canon 40D and 300F/4LIS hand held with IS on. In hind sight, I should have turned IS off at these shutter speeds, as I think IS messes with the bokeh when I'm really steady. Not sure, just a hunch.

To change my position for better lighting I had to get down on my knees and crawl around below bush level with the ticks. Never really found a great spot for light. I tend to expose for the high mid levels rather than to the right, so the sky is still Blue. Makes for some dark shadows.

All at F/8, 1/1600th sec., ISO-320

I saw the one with the antlers initially, and started moving to a better position. Never got far enough ahead of them, but sort of close. This is where I first spotted the entire group, and they knew I was there.

This is about as close as I ever got to the male Elk. A portrait crop out of a landscape frame.

Next frame they start to slowly move away. I'm too close for their comfort, and they know I'm moving around in the direction they want to exit in.

A Killdeer pic taken the day before in the same park, but several miles South of the Tule Elk Reserve. Major crop

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow