Diglloyd's Quote About NX 2.2

Started Apr 2, 2009 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757
Re: there is no nikon software support, IMO

Thom Hogan wrote:

Kerry Pierce wrote:

Thom Hogan wrote:

I think you need to be careful of indicting any particular group.

I don't see why it matters, at least with respect to the problems I
outlined.

The exact words I was reacting to are "nik software has inept,
uncaring software engineers." Actually, they do care, and I don't
think they're inept. As I said, I can't go into details, but let me
throw out a what if at you: what if Nik wasn't involved in any way
with the 2.2.0 release (which is what this thread is about)? Then you
would be condemning a group of people without a supporting reason. I
don't think we should do that.

I have a great deal of respect for your insider info and for you in general. I do not think that nik software can be absolved in this matter, in spite of the fact that I tend to believe what you're intimating here. I think they should be held accountable for the things they did wrong. I certainly concur with your statement that nikon corporate is a control freak, but I don't believe that they told nik software to goof up installation routines or to not fix bugs/issues that have existed from the beginning.

Secondly, I see no reason to believe that nikon has completely rewritten NX2.2 from the ground up. If that is true, then nik software is fully responsible for the bugs and issues that have carried forward from the beginning of NX1 or NX2 and viewNX, into the current versions. As I said, the picture control edit utility has never worked for me, including the current version. That is only one example of carryover that, at least to me, points directly to nik software.

I certainly do not absolve nikon of their responsibility in the matter, but I rather doubt that they contracted with nik software, expecting to have the issues that have plagued the programs, especially installation/update installation problems.

I can't envision a valid reason for having installation or update installation issues. ViewNX and NX2 are the only programs I've seen fail with installation or updates, in many years. Installations should be bulletproof, so why do these nik software programs have complete failure issues where others do not even hesitate? That is inexcusable, IMO.

If nikon has removed nik software from the picture, it is most likely because of the complaints that they've gotten about the software for which nik software is responsible. That is not to say that nikon corporate is blameless, because they certainly are not.

My personal recommendation to Nikon is this: the current status quo
is not working. The residual anti-Capture noise amongst customers has
not been lowered by the things you've tried. If you want to stay in
the software business, you need to:

I think your recommendations are right on the money. I also think that nikon doesn't care very much what you or anyone else thinks. The issues with NX aren't nearly the noisemakers that the WB encryption fiasco was, yet they still encrypt the WB in every new camera, do they not? That simply suggests a pigheaded arrogance that will likely never change. As you previously stated, lots of people still buy NX and overlook the issues. Why would nikon make any substantive changes? I think they'll continue to put fresh makeup and lipstick on that pig and trot it out, long into the future. I'll happily eat crow if they prove me wrong.

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Al
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow