Diglloyd's Quote About NX 2.2

Started Apr 2, 2009 | Discussions thread
Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,659
Re: there is no nikon software support, IMO

Kerry Pierce wrote:

Thom Hogan wrote:

I think you need to be careful of indicting any particular group.

I don't see why it matters, at least with respect to the problems I
outlined.

The exact words I was reacting to are "nik software has inept, uncaring software engineers." Actually, they do care, and I don't think they're inept. As I said, I can't go into details, but let me throw out a what if at you: what if Nik wasn't involved in any way with the 2.2.0 release (which is what this thread is about)? Then you would be condemning a group of people without a supporting reason. I don't think we should do that.

Assuming that your info is correct, nik software was
involved in earlier iterations of both programs. Both had problems
from the beginning and neither had more than absolute minimal support
from either nik or nikon, which proved worthless for anything other
than mundane, minimal troubleshooting.

There are four basic aspects to complaints about Capture over the years:
1. User interface
2. Performance
3. Bugs
4. Support

The question to ask is this: who has responsibility for which of those? The answers might surprise you (and some of them have changed with time). Again, saying Nik is inept or uncaring is wrong. Most of the time, all of the complaints I've heard about something Nikon-wise all come back to one place: Nikon corporate. Think of it this way: they're control freaks.

My personal recommendation to Nikon is this: the current status quo is not working. The residual anti-Capture noise amongst customers has not been lowered by the things you've tried. If you want to stay in the software business, you need to:

1. Get a photographer-centric workflow UI built. That probably means that you need to concentrate on ViewNX. Capture should be an optional plug-in to ViewNX that improves/replaces the Quick Adjustment. But ViewNX has a long, long, long, long ways to go to get to the levels that Aperture and Lightroom provide. And if you can't get there, you need to get out of the software business. But, bottom line: ViewNX is the hub, where Capture, Camera Pro, Image Authorization all become optional components. Thus, you give away ViewNX with everything, and get better at follow-on marketing to sell the others. But you also have to make those options compelling. You've done none of those things (other than give away ViewNX).

2. Performance is the least of your issues. While we'd all like better, most of the frustration is tied to the workflow (see #1). In the end, it doesn't matter if you improve conversion performance by 50% for batching images if batching images is a pain in the first place or bugs kill the batch process at some point.

3. Bugs and Support go together. You have to many of the former and too little of the latter. Both of those things derive from poor QA in my experience. Good QA and beta testing eliminates bugs and provides better information into support.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (19 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Al
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow