D90 vs. Canon 500D Which one?

Started Mar 27, 2009 | Discussions thread
OP Dan Senior Member • Posts: 1,427
I'm sure many like the Rebels, but

Rakumi wrote:

Hey,
I see a lot of people ragging on the 500D with out even giving it a
chance

I'm pretty sure that it's safe to assume that the 500D will perform at a level similar to that of the current Rebels.

and I also think peope are offended a bit by such a move by
canon to give so much and cost so little with out some sort of major
draw back. It leaves many confused about it all.

Cost so little? It's almost a thousand dollars! The major drawback is probably its AF system.

all the other
features most semi professionals love about the d90, the less
experienced do not know about and do not care about.

Not know, maybe, but not care, I don't think so. What I care about most is the keeper rate. Auto focus greatly affects that rate. If one camera has a far superior AF system, depending on what you shoot (like if what you're shooting moves), you're gonna get more keepers with that camera.

The D90's AF system is based on the D200's AF system. The D200's AF system is better than anything Canon has (except for maybe the 1D/1Ds lines).

I say do research on the feed back of the 450D. I have one and most
of the reviews say many enjoyed it and loved what was packed into it.

What owners say about their camera won't really help me. I'm sure plenty of people love their camera. What I want to know is which camera is better. The only way to know that is to try both.

My opinion is go for the 500D.

Why?

Here's the way I see it.

The 500D offers more megapixels. But what that translates to is more noise and/or loss of detail at higher ISO settings.

It seems to me that the D90 has it right where it matters in photography. Metering, autofocus, frame rate...it's stuff that affects the capture.

But as far as the video mode is concerned, that's where the 500D has an edge. If I were getting that camera, that would matter to me because I want a good video mode on my camera.

I'll have to see how important video mode is to him.

Dan's gear list:Dan's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon D810 Nikon Z6 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Dan
Leo
Dan
Leo
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Dan
Leo
Leo
Leo
Dan
Leo
Dan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow