Just bought SX200, sample pictures and impressions

Started Mar 24, 2009 | Discussions thread
OP Ezzelin Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: Just bought SX200, sample pictures and impressions

Paulfr wrote:

The flash does come up when it's turned on, but can be physically
held down to prevent it firing easily enough.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. Even though the flash is up, it can be turned off in any more (even Easy mode, in which that is the only thing you can control.) And moreover if the flash did fire when being pressed down against a surface, this could possibly damage the flash due to it firing in close proximity to another object. I haven't tried moving the flash manually myself, as it seems pretty solid when it's up when I've lightly pressed on it. I have also sometimes blocked the flash briefly as I turn the camera on and nothing goes wrong when I move my finger away. On Youtube I've seen videos of people pressing the flash down and it springing back up immediately, so it seems that it has a spring or something holding it up that shouldn't be damaged by pushing down on it, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

Continuos shooting is slower than I am used to and the only real
disappointment, though it is very fast (about 3 frames per second) in
ISO 3200 mode, the results are very noisy and lacking in detaill,
though in bright conditions they might be OK, I haven't tried that
yet.

Huh, I hadn't tried that. The manual only quotes the speed at a little faster than a second per image. I just verified this with my camera and it works as well. I also tried P mode at the same M3 setting that the ISO 3200 mode's resolution is fixed at and it was still slow. Perhaps due to pixel binning there's less data to process, and that could be what causes it to be faster. Regardless, this is a good find. I wonder if any of the other scene modes have faster continuous rates. If resolution isn't too important, it's worth noting that the movie quality is very good on this camera at 720p since the bitrate is so high, and each video frame looks great as a still image (if taken in good light.) Then you have a 30fps image sequence.

On my way to dinner, I took a few shots and saw my first blue sky since I bought the camera. There was a lot of fine detail evident in these shots, and I've uploaded a couple of them:

Also, I took a few shots at the restaurant, and uploaded the best of those:

The sushi was particularly good. In particular, the eel on the dragon roll in the left part of the photo was outstanding. I really must return soon. The first photo of the three is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezzelin/3386577991/ and the originals are linked to in the descriptions.

On a related note, I was finally able to view the LCD screen in bright conditions, and it was still very viewable even at the default brightness, which was the middle of 5 brightness settings. It wasn't quite direct sunlight, but it was a very bright cloud with the sun directly behind it, which can sometimes even be worse. I turned so that the sun was directly on the screen and it was still visible.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow