bought a 5d Mk ii; love itl bugt made me a appreciate K20D a lot

Started Feb 20, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Martin Brand Regular Member • Posts: 120
bought a 5d Mk ii; love itl bugt made me a appreciate K20D a lot

i have grown up with photography, with a dad who had a leica and a rollei medium format. i have used a pentax DSLR for the last three years and generally have been very happy. i also am financially in a well enough situation that price on camera equipment is not the major equipment, and i love low light (read high ISO is very important to me), so i just bought a 5D. i was looking for great high ISO performance, and I got that. so i am happy with my purcahse. at the same time, i was very surprised that at a number of thinks i missed. so i am writing this thread mainly in priase of my pentax equiment (which i still keep and cherish). effectively, what it boils down to, is that compared to the K20D, the Canon 5D is a pain to use. To start with, I REALLY REALLY REALLY miss Tav. The way I work, there normally is minimum f-sto that I wan to work with (typcially maximum speed 1 EV) and a specific minimum speed to avoid blur. Within these minimum lens-resolution and non-blur constraints, i want minimum ISO. With K20D, no prob. With 5D, impossible. It doesn't have Tav, it can't even do auto-ISO min and max. Prioritising P mode for MTF vs. specific speed, forget about it. Getting P to take into account image stabilisation, forget about it. Assignign specific functinos to dials, forget about it. In camera RAW development, no way. And so on. In many ways, K20D is much more to my taste in terms of functionality. Similary, for lenses, there are some gaps in Canon line-up. I lvoe low light, and was very happy with 31mm Limited plus shake reduction. So to replace that, I initially bought Simga 50mm 1.4 with better high ISO intended to make up SR. The lens perform beautifully optically if you get lucky with focus, but focus is so all over the place, hard to use. So I exchanged it for Canon 35mm 1.4L. Now that lens is extremely sharp and focus is reliable, but the bokeh is a -1 on a scale of 1 thru 10. I am desperate, nothing like Pentax glass exists in this very standard focal lengh.

Also , of course the 5D is heave, and so are most of the lenses (Canon does not have pancakes).

So, long story short, the sensor on the 5D is really great, and I love my new camera for it, but my Pentax is a better camera in many other ways, and I will contiinue to use both

Hope this provides some insight to people thinking about 5D

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KSV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow